Wednesday, May 26, 2010

We Shouldn't Complain

A friend of mine is having a pretty rough go of it. He won't be specific about what's going on, but from what little he says I pray the Lord will give him the strength, insight and guidance he needs. Sunday he let some of his complaints be known publicly and he caused more damage than he realizes.

Well, this morning I found Randy Alcorn's new web site and came across an article about this very subject. Here are some of the reasons Randy gives for us not to complain.

7. To complain is to say God is not just.
“Shall not the Judge of all the Earth do right?” (Genesis 18:25)
8. Faith and prayer exclude complaining.
“I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4).
9. This difficulty is being used by God for my good and it is foolish for me to complain against it.
“And we know that all things work together for the good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28).
10. Those more faithful than I have suffered far worse than I, and did so without complaint.
“…and others were tortured, not accepting their release, in order that they might obtain a better resurrection; and others experienced mockings and scourgings, yes, also chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheepskins, in goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, ill-treated (men of whom the world was not worthy), wandering in deserts and mountains and caves and holes in the ground. All these, having gained approval through their faith…” (Hebrews 11:35-39)
11. Complaining denies that God’s grace is entirely sufficient.
“My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9).

There are a total of twelve of these but I thought these five summed up nicely why we shouldn't complain. I trust the Lord will take my friend out of his "funk" and put him on "higher ground" which is his normal operating mode. He is a great guy and I don't like to see him like this.

We all have complaints and it wouldn't hurt any of us to review this list.

No comments: